Home  / SCH M 06

SCH M 06

Reference code

SCH M 06


Eton Masters' Club



Administrative / Biographical history

The Club was founded in 1903 as an amalgamation of three separate clubs which ran Masters' Field, Masters' Boathouse and Masters' Bathing Place; the records include records of the Masters' Field Club. This made provision for fives courts, croquet ground and cricket. It was originally funded by masters buying shares, and subsequently there was some dispute, in which Oscar Browning took a conspicuous part, as to the relative importance of shareholders and subscribers in the running of the club. The reconstituted Masters' Club added squash, tennis and boating to its facilities but clearly had some difficulty in maintaining interest, since in 1925 it was decided `to secure the future of the Club by reconstituting on a new basis'. Under this regime, the School Fund paid an annual grant (discontinued in 1935) and all masters were expected to become members. From 1929 ladies were entitled to attend meetings but not to vote.


1866 - 1946
Further information and resources

Can't find what you are looking for?

Digital resources

Terms and conditions

Powered by CollectionsIndex+ Collections Online