Home  / SCH


Reference code



School records



Administrative / Biographical history

Henry VI allowed non-scholars to share the education provided. These boys, known as Oppidans as they boarded in the town, came to outnumber the scholars and after the Reformation, education became the prime purpose of the College. Day to day management of the College is delegated to the Head Master in respect of educational matters.


c.1700 - present

Extent & medium


Content description

Entry books signed by all boys have been preserved from 1791 onwards but otherwise little survives before the 19th century apart from sent-up for good scripts. Pop Journals begin in 1811 and in the last half of the century sport, society and house books. Head Masters' papers were not officially preserved until the late 20th century although private letters of Dr.Goodall and Dr. Keate have been preserved elsewhere and the papers of provosts who were formerly Head Masters contain some material. Files on boys and masters leaving are preserved from the 1950s but more fully from the 1960s. Increasing amounts of material produced by individual departments.


Within the school

Physical characteristics


Conditions of access and use area

Personal material closed 100 years

Finding aids

Word lists; Dr Goodall's correspondence electronically catalogued
Further information and resources

Can't find what you are looking for?

Digital resources

Terms and conditions

Powered by CollectionsIndex+ Collections Online