SCH M ELC
SCH M ELC
Papers of Ernest Lee Churchill
At Eton 1883 - 1889, he was in the Newcastle Select but also Captain of the Boats, and after obtaining a first at King's College, Cambridge he returned as an assistant master in 1893. He retired in 1953, having held a house from 1904 - 1925, but his great contribution was to rowing. He was River master for many years, a famous coach, and instrumental in making the Eton College Boat House a successful and useful organisation. With L.S. Byrne, he wrote The Eton Book of the River.
1846 - 1952
Probably papers sent to him as background for The Eton Book of the River. They include leases, correpondence on the purchase of Cuckoo Weir, and plans.
SCH HOUS 03 ELC
Obituary : Eton College Chronicle, 17 February 1956
- E.L. Churchill: Lease of land in Eton, SCH M ELC 01, (15 February 1846)
- E.L. Churchill: Lease of Cuckoo Weir Eyot, SCH M ELC 02, (6 May 1896)
- E.L. Churchill: Lease of land in Eton Wick, SCH M ELC 03, (5 November 1915)
- E.L. Churchill: Correspondence on right to swim at Boveney Lock, SCH M ELC 04, (1880 - 1901)
- E.L. Churchill: Correspondence on lease and purchase of Cuckoo Weir from the Crown, SCH M ELC 05, (1900 - 1901)
- E.L. Churchill: Maps and plans, SCH M ELC 06, (20th century)
- E.L. Churchill: Elevation and section of Boveney Weir Bathing Place, by Easton Amos & Sons, SCH M ELC 07, (21 July 1862)
- E.L. Churchill: Papers relating to The Eton Book of the River, SCH M ELC 08, (1952)