Christopher Tap Club
The Captain of the Boats and Captain of the Eleven used to invite boys to come to 'cellar' and drink from a long glass (the traditional yard of ale), after which they were accepted as members of a club, which seems from early years to have been known as Tap. Once the School Stores were founded in 1900 a club where boys could drink beer, albeit under rather more controlled conditions, continued to exist until the sale of alcohol was banned by Dr Alington. In 1938 beer was again allowed. However, no proper licence was obtained and strictly the boys were underage, and it was not until the 1950s that this position was regularised.
1886 - 1996