SCH M STH
SCH M STH
Papers of Stephen Thomas Hawtrey
Assistant master 1836-1872 Mathematics was not part of the school curriculum until 1851. Prior to that date, it was taught as an extra in the Mathematical School that Stephen Hawtrey himself had built, and he was responsible himself for engaging assistants. He also had to pay a pension of £200 a year to Mr Hexter, who had taught writing and arithmetic, and whose certificate was required before boys other than those in the Head Master's division could attend Hawtrey's classes. From 1851 he was formally appointed mathematical Assistant Master, on a par with the classical assistants, although his own maths assistants were not similarly recognised. Hawtrey himself had attended Trinity Cambridge, and was ordained. From 1844 - 1851 he served as curate at Windsor, and he founded St Mark's School, Windsor, of which he was Warden from 1871 until his death.
1862 - 1872