Home  / SCH QE


Reference code



Queen's Eyot



Administrative / Biographical history

Queen's Eyot is an island on the Thames, a few miles upstream from Windsor. The School obtained the lease of Queen's Eyot in 1898 through Colonel Van de Weyer in order to build a boat club house. For 5s a year the club was to provide members with a house, a raft, an Eyot and refreshments. In 1923, Van de Weyer's son transferred the island to Eton College. Dr Warre had an attractive clubhouse built on the island, where boys could buy food and beer, and it soon became a favourite wet-bob excursion. In May 1988, the original clubhouse met with an unfortunate end when fire totally destroyed it. The College decided to re-build the clubhouse, so that it could be used not only by the boys but also for special occasions.


1900 - 2009

Associated material

Some further general information may be found in the "Eton Book of the River", by Byrne and Churchill.
Eton College Chronicle includes articles on the leasing of the island in 30 June 1899 issue, and on the foundation of the Queen's Eyot Club in 25 May 1900 issue
Further information and resources

Can't find what you are looking for?

Digital resources

Terms and conditions

Powered by CollectionsIndex+ Collections Online