Home  / SCH SAN


Reference code






Administrative / Biographical history

Although Henry VI provided for the possibility of illness in scholars, there was no suitable accommodation included for the care of sick boys, instead relying on places within the town. Various plans over the next centuries for buildings came to nothing. The first proper sanatorium was built in 1844, and could accommodate 24 cases of infectious disease. The original building, called the Sandles, was about a mile outside College. In 1896, an isolation hospital was built next to the existing sanatorium. In 1985, it was agreed to build a new sanatorium above the St John the Evangelist church in Eton High Street. It was officially opened in 1991.

In 2015, the Sanatorium changed its name to the Health Centre.


1872 - 2012

Location of this record in the archive hierarchy

Click the hyperlinked text below for further details.
(Click here to scroll to the current record within the hierarchy)

Number 21 of 30 at this Level

Beneath this record in the archive hierarchy

Further information and resources

Can't find what you are looking for?

Digital resources

Terms and conditions

Powered by CollectionsIndex+ Collections Online