Home  / SCH SP ECH


Reference code



Eton College Hunt



Administrative / Biographical history

On 18 January 1858, Edward Charrington wrote in his diary "Thought of getting up some Beagles". Five days later he had raised a subscription of £7 10s among his friends and bought two couple of Beagles. This is generally considered the origin of the Oppidan Hunt. A College Pack had been established in 1857, and the two packs amalgamated in 1867. From then on wild hares became the sole quarry (previously hares and foxes had been hunted, and even a badger). In 1867, the hounds were moved from their former kennels on the Dorney Road and the Playing Fields to the back of the Turkish Baths in Eton High Street. Its proprietor, Mr Lock, became kennel huntsman. New kennels were built in 1899 on the initiative of Francis Grenfell, Master that year. They were rebuilt in the 2000s to make way for the Maidenhead Flood Relief Channel. The pack was briefly dispersed during WW1 but restarted in 1920. During WW2 the pack remained at Eton but was reduced in size. The beagles last hunt for live quarry was on 18 February 2005 in Windsor Great Park (no hare was killed) and now they trail-hunt by following a hare-based scent. There are 25 couple of hounds who go out twice a week during the season and approximately 20 boys follow regularly.


1859 - 1993

Publication note

Eton College Chronicle, 24/06/1899

Location of this record in the archive hierarchy

Click the hyperlinked text below for further details.
(Click here to scroll to the current record within the hierarchy)

Number 5 of 22 at this Level

Beneath this record in the archive hierarchy

Further information and resources

Can't find what you are looking for?

Digital resources

Terms and conditions

Powered by CollectionsIndex+ Collections Online