Brocas Boat-House Ltd.
Successive Captains of the Boats had suggested that the school should have its own boats and boathouse for the benefit of the boys. In November 1894 masters and interested Old Etonians formed a company - the Eton College Boating Co. Ltd. - and acquired premises along the Thames. Early in 1895 the company was renamed the Brocas Boathouse Ltd. It owned not only freehold adjoining the Bridge House Hotel but also two leasehold properties, owned by Strugnell and by Watkins; the three premises together being known as Rafts. However, the company was not a financial success. It had paid too much for premises in poor condition and for a poor stock of boats and many boys continued to patronise Winter's boatyard. The company was nearly wound up but survived through the generosity of Old Etonians and gradually improved its position. In 1908 the College purchased Watkins' freehold and in 1910 the remaining two parts of Rafts as well as Winter's, and the Brocas Boathouse Ltd. was wound up and replaced by a new association, the Eton College Boat House.
1898 - 1910
Eton Boating Book, 3rd ed., 1933
- Brocas Boat House: Letter Book, SCH BBH 01, (1898 - 1910)
- Brocas Boat House: Notice of meeting, SCH BBH 02, (18 July 1902)
- Brocas Boat House: Notice of Extraordinary General Meeting, SCH BBH 03, (2 June 1910)
- Brocas Boat House: Valuation of freehold and leasehold properties, SCH BBH 04, (25 October 1904)
- Brocas Boat House: Records of stock, SCH BBH 05, (1898)
- Brocas Boat House: Papers on the winding up of the company, SCH BBH 06, (1904 - 1910)