The first Junior Bursar, Patrick Macindoe, was appointed in 1902 to assist the Head Master and the School Fund Committee and he continued with these duties after he had been appointed Bursar in 1918. Not until 1934 was another Junior Bursar, R.W. Corbett, appointed; in the interim much of this work seems to have been carried out by Mr Ayres, the Bursary clerk, and it was probably his appointment as Clerk to the Provost and Fellows which made the appointment of a new Junior Bursar necessary. When Corbett was called up a former master, R.E. Marsden, came to replace him. Macindoe left in 1942 at which point Marsden replaced him, again combining the two roles, and the position was abolished in 1945. The content of the files suggests that whoever filled the role of Junior Bursar was also carrying out much of the day-to-day estate management in an extension of the role of Bursary clerk.
1800 - 1970
Although the Junior Bursar was originally intended to deal with school finance, these papers relate almost entirely to the management of the College's estates (the London estate of Chalcots largely excepted). They are often detailed and cover a wide variety of subjects, such as applications for grants for war memorials or local charities , church restoration, land sales, improvements and surveys and valuations. Maps and plans are sometimes included and many items predate by many years the actual appointment of a Junior Bursar. These files seem to have been regarded as the home for the miscellaneous estate papers which had accumulated in the Bursary after the transfer of the `evidences' - mainly earlier material - to College Library. These earlier papers have been catalogued either as ECR ... or COLL/EST/ estate name