Reference code



Ypres Memorial School



Administrative / Biographical history

There are many memorials at Eton to Etonians killed in WW1 but to commemorate the 342 who died on the Ypres Salient a special subscription was raised to build a school at Ypres. This school was intended for the families of the British residents who cared for the graves of the fallen and the foundation stone was laid by Field-Marshal Lord Plumer on 24 July 1927 next to the site of the Memorial Church of St George, near the Menin Gate. It continued until 1940 when the families had to leave and never re-opened although the church still functions and the school building is still standing. Although the Provost supported the original appeal, it was not a College enterprise so there is very little information in the archives at Eton.


1926 - 1927

Associated material

The photographer James Jarche produced a feature on the school for Illustrated Magazine in April 1940 and his photos have survived. See also ED 158; COLL/B/SF/64/8; MISC/F/330

Publication note

Eton College Chronicle, 25/10/1934
Further information and resources

Can't find what you are looking for?

Digital resources

Terms and conditions

Powered by CollectionsIndex+ Collections Online